Join Our Email List
This store is Upfront
Track N Field Articles
SHOT PUT- A TRACK AND FIELD EVENT
CHOOSE YOUR PREFERRED TOPIC
The first track and field events started in Greece. People took part in sprints, endurance races, shot put, and discus. Track and Field events were commenced in the Olympics in 776 B.C. They are played in every four years.
DETAILS OF SHOT PUT
- The origin of shot put began some 2000 years ago. This includes shot put drills, basics, the history of shot put, safety tips, competition rules, shot and how to make a proper shot put circle.
- It is important to know how the set of shot put rules should be followed in each throw. The shot put is Olympic field event that focuses on using strength to know how to throw a heavy metal ball as far as possible. To a certain extent than using a straight throw like those used in baseball, participator simply push the ball outwards.
- Earlier, the athlete must stand on a wooden rectangle to throw the shot. If he goes outside of it, then it is counted as foul and the throw is discounted. Standing throw was the only way to play shot put. Since, the rectangle has become a seven-foot circle. It is used to gain energy and create more force. The rotational throw produces more force because of a longer push.
- The technique used in this is the thrower holds the ball next to the neck with the elbow held approximately parallel to the ground. Other than this there are two more Shot put techniques used by the thrower the "glide" or the "spin".
- Both the methods are the same only the execution varies. This glide shot put technique requires one to face at 180 degrees away from the throwing point. This was first implemented in 1951 by Parry O'Brien, an athlete of United States.
- In 1976, the spin was developed and was used extensively by Brian Oldfield. It includes more rotation than the glide and it is the most popular way of shot put in current history.
- Randy Barnes used the technique spin to drive the ball at a distance of 23.12 which is a world record.There are few things which are necessary to practice and compete in the shot put event. The first is the ball itself.
- According to rules, the ball must weigh 7.26kg for men and 4kg for women. Tall heavy and physically powerful athletes are well suited for shot put or shot putting.
- There must be a circle diameter of 7ft with the area in which the shot must be thrown and a 4" toe board in the front of the circle.
- To calculate how far one has thrown, the distance from the outer portion of the circle to where the shot primarily landed. To develop their skills, competitors do weight lifting to build the muscles used in the event.
Tracknfieldgear.com sells sports equipment through online.
2 kg discus without traditional central plate.
Synthetic sideplates with high fibreglass content.
Discus rim made of special alloy resistant to corrosion.